Below you will find upcoming lodge events organized by month. To view event details, please click on the event title. For the most up to date event details, please sign up for the E-Blast on the homepage.
Highlights of some of the social events of our Lodge are:
- In May we celebrate Norwegian Independence Day, May 17. The day starts with a celebratory parade at the Anchorage Park Strip complete with ice cream and hot dogs. We march with Norwegian flags and many members wear their traditional festive clothes, known as “bunads”. The parade is followed by a potluck dinner in the evening along with a short program on Norway’s story of independence.
- Mid-summer in June is a special time for picnicking and get-togethers during the summer when we have no regularly scheduled meetings, but do enjoy a time to greet one another and catch up on the happenings and travels of fellow lodge members.
- In the fall, we have our Far-i-kaal dinner. This is a harvest dinner of cabbage and lamb. As the farmers brought the animals in from the mountainside in the fall of the year and as the vegetables were gathered from the fields in preparation for winter these foods were a natural meal — and a tasty one, at that.
- In November we have a lutefisk dinner. Lutefisk, the lye-cured cod, and lefse are a traditional food of the Norwegian seafarers. In modern times the cod is cured without lye. It is served with melted butter, cream or mustard gravy. Add boiled potatoes, meatballs, vegetable and dessert and you have a feast to celebrate.
- In December, we celebrate “Sancta Lucia.” A cultural celebration with religious origins, our Lucia party honors a teenage girl (the daughter or granddaughter of members of the Lodge) who is chosen as “Lucia.” Our party is held on Sunday afternoon for the whole family. This is a very popular event and especially enjoyable for the children, with cookies, carol singing and Santa Claus!
- In April we host a Norwegian Fish Dinner complete with musical entertainment. The dinner showcases modern Norwegian cuisine and at least two different fish dishes. It is a gourmet’s delight.
This is a sampling of the activities we plan each year. Then add the ideas, surprises and challenging events which members suggest and plan and you have a great experience in friendship and fraternity!